Tuesday, July 13, 2010

About to go for my first run since i've been here. Can't believe I haven't gone running yet. I guess I'm only now getting over the jet lag fully, and i've been working non stop and i'm a lazy bum. I have been bicycling though (I said I'd talk about it didn't I?). There are so many bicylists here. The roads in the mornings are full of them...Its no wonder the US is so fat in comparison to other countries. We did a 30 mile loop from the resort and it took us up hills to some beautiful views of the sea, then through some small villages and farm land. Its quite pretty here, some really nice hills and the sea and loads of olive and lemon trees.

So I just said 'loads'. Thats very british. I am surround by british people and have already started using their words. Its kind of annoying cuz I feel fake...and british but people don't really know what to say when i say whats up. 'How you goin', or 'you alright there' seems to work better. Speaking of language, Spanish spanish is soo much different then what we learn in the states. And even if i was in Mexico i would still suck at it. I was at a bar and lady came over and said something and I just said, dos cervesas por favor...later we think she asked if we had been helped...whoops.

The world cup! I don't use this version often but O.M.G!!! We went back to the same bar/restaurant to watch it but with way more people. It was super intense before they scored. Everyone was getting ridiculously frustrated. It was a great example of a real soccer nation in the thick of it. And once they scored...oh man. Even I was up on my feet dancing...but only for a minute...They carried on until the game was over still celebrating that goal. I didn't think it could be more ridiculous until the ref blew the final whistle. Mayhem. People were crying, kissing hugging, humping (with their clothes on i wasn't in madrid) climbing on top of each other, crying some more and singing alot. Yo soy espanol, espanol, espanol! I sang along to the other songs even though I didn't know the words, but felt like I didn't deserve to sing that one. Everybody had been drinking heavily (3 of us polished of 3 buckets of 10 beers, they were small-20 centileters, whatever that means but probably about 8-10 oz, and we were feeling great). Anyway, after the match everyone got in the their cars and drove around the small neighbor hooonking and blasting "we are the champions." Remember, everyone was drinking. A bit sketchy but hey they deserved it and all the under 10 year olds were on the sidewalk out of the way...for the most part. They got out a hose and everyone was dancing and singing in the street and getting drenched, there were mini fireworks and just plain crazyness. I was loving just watching it go down, I can't imagine how amazing everyone felt. I really can't describe it well enough. Just be jealous and that will work for me.

Off to run now, trying to find my way to a cliff that overlooks the Med. Going scuba diving on thursday! and perhaps doing some modeling later on. Yes I am going to be a model. Not really, but I'm going to pretend. Geoff (cousin-in-law and boss) might be taking pictures of me and my pseudo-girlfriend (sorry mom) running on a beach at sunrise, so they can use the pictures for the resort website. You can be jealous again, I don't mind. Adios,

Simon

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious re modeling - Mike, Vanessa, Fiona - so many visitors gracing the pages of the website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, Thanks for allowing me to see your blog - I enjoyed it a lot and it made me laugh. Love you lots, Mum

    ReplyDelete