Thursday, August 12, 2010

There is no green circle.

Nothing is happening worth writing right now. And although I thought that organizing the shop and putting together a large tool board was pretty sweet, I don't want to waste your precious time. Instead I'm going write one that I hope to write in a few months.

It finally stopped snowing! 3 feet in town! We waited the precationary 24 hours, being avy savvy and everything. Here was our adventure this morning: Woke up, alarm reads 4:30 AM. Scott goes outside to turn the car on. I'm in the kitchen whipping up some scrambled eggs. All our gear is laid out by the front door ready to go. After we eat we pack up everything while a pot of water is boiling for tea. The silence outside and in the house makes me anxious and nervous for our outing. Everything is packed and ready and we head out. We drive down I-70 for 45 minutes to our favorit spot. Avy beacons, check. Skins defrosted and on skis, check. Grins on our faces, check. We start the slog at 5:45 but don't need our headlamps, the moon is a week away from full. We've been hiking for half an hour when the pops up from behind our second favorite mountain. We check the snow pack every few hundred feet of elevation gain. Snow looks great! Scott and I take turns breaking trail up the route we know so well. Neither of us are tired yet. Take a break to shed some layers and look out at the view. Now we can't catch our breath. Clouds have settled low in the "valleys" hiding everything below 9,000ft. The brilliant peaks seem to be coming out of nothing. Scott glance at each other and know this is going to be another amazing day. We reach the top and dig our second snow pit. No wind. No signs of other avalanches. We go through the rest of the checklist. Perfect. We discuss our plans on where to ski and spot and get ready to drop. I go first. It is bliss. Its knee deep at the top. It is so soft my skis don't make any noise. I can't hear much. Maybe its because I'm in a state of ecstasy, but all I can hear is my deep breathing as the cold air rushes in through my smile. My legs start burning, but I can't stop, I need to get out danger. I finally make it to the spot and signal scott with a loud whoop whoop. He takes a simlar route and eventually joins me. We are yelling and screaming and enjoying life. We've been waiting 2 years for this winter and it isn't dissapointing. I'm going to find it hard to go back to school...if I even decide to. I think I like this more. We get home and enjoy a nice local beer before we head off to our jobs for the night. Can't wait till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment