Friday, August 6, 2010

I like...

I have decided something. I am not a coastal person. I like to be land locked. Wait. If I were in Alaska heli skiing from summit to sea I think I would be ok. Rephrase: I like mountains. I like how small they can make me feel. I like how big can make me feel. I like how they make me feel safe. I like how insignificant they make the stresses of this crazy world humans have made. They stand there defiantly saying "blow me up I dare you", I am huge, I am taller than you're skyscrapers. Unfortunately sometimes we do blow them up and that just sucks. I like their uniqueness, whereas say, a sea or an ocean, all basically look like water. I do like coast lines, because they do are all different, and in some places are magnificent. I like how clean mountains are. The air. The smell. The nights. I like that people care about their mountains and their cleanliness, it seems many mountains are sacred to an Indian Tribe, and I don't blame them...obviously. I like the people associated with mountains. Outdoosry, healthy, active, laid back, positive, beautiful. And apparently these people make good beer, and good music, which I also like. I like the escape that mountains can provide. The terrain that limits access to only those willing to work a little for an undescribable reward.
I like that you can be completely alone in mountains, no sign of human life, no cars, no concrete, no shortcuts to make life 'easier'. Mountains mean the Verizon and AT&T can finally agree that neither of them provide cell phone coverage. I like driving towards mountains, the anticipation grows ever bigger as the mountains do the same. I like how they make me unable to speak when I realize how big they actually are. I like how they make me feel like I am leaving a friend when I drive away. A sad feeling, but it means I will be back as soon as I can. Suffice to say, I will live in, on, on top of, at the base of, or very close to mountains. Always. Why? I like mountains. I miss mountains. If mountains were a girl, and I saw her at a party I would use the words of my old friend Ron Burgandy. I want to be on you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Simon, I had a similar (or maybe opposite) experience when we moved to New Mexico. I found it very difficult not to be near the ocean. Lake Michigan felt almost ocean like, so New Mexico was a big change for me. I was always so happy when the Rio Grande was full of water!!! Mum

    ReplyDelete